Friday, May 13, 2011

Media Update

Today was the release of two newspaper articles that have been in the works for the last few weeks. One was for SFU News (today in print) and Vancouver Shinpo. A big thanks to Stuart Colcleugh and Marianne Meadahl from SFU and Louise Akuzawa from Vancouver Shinpo who wrote the articles!! My aim for these two articles are to create more awareness for the ongoing problems in Japan after the 9.0 earthquake and to show appreciation for those who have made this trip possible for me. I am so thrilled to go to Japan and can't wait to get started. My general plan as of now is as follows:

May 19 Arrive in Tokyo
May 19 - June 4 visit family and friends, go to the volunteer seminars, buy supplies, prepare for volunteering
June 4 - June 12 Volunteer for the Tokyo Disaster Centre via Youth For 3.11 in Tohoku

The Tokyo Disaster Centre is the biggest organization that Youth For 3.11 is currently working with. I am part of 10 people who are heading up for a week to help on the ground there. I am not 100% sure of the tasks but the coordinator told me that there will be things like cleaning up homes, looking for pictures/albums from people's homes and talking to the people who are still living in shelters. I am so nervous and excited about going right now, I can't believe that it's all happening so soon!! In the meanwhile I will be busy preparing for flight on Wednesday!


 Today's article in Vancouver Shimpo

Today's article in SFU News

No comments:

Post a Comment